Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Importance

I was listening to the Insight For Living radio broadcast this morning (8:00 a.m. on AM 1010 in Temple/Belton). I actually didn't even know it still came on...my dad clued me in. When I was a kid, we used to listen to this program on the way to school. Chuck Swindoll's clear and unassuming teaching style made an impression on me even as a child. Staci and I had a chance to visit his church in Frisco a few years back...what a great experience. Anyway, this morning Chuck (we're tight like that) was teaching on Philippians 2. Verses 3-8 really hit me. I'd studied these verse before...they're even underlined in my Bible...but this morning they were fresh:

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!'

In this world we are told to make something of ourselves.
Christ made himself nothing.

In this world we are told to stand up for our rights.
Christ gave his up.

In this world we are told to look out for our own interests.
Christ was only interested in serving others.

Who's standard do we accept?

Grace,

Tim

No comments: